Thursday 19 August 2010

Persuasion

I've recently started taking more notice of how other people persuade me. I used to think that I was pretty immune to peer group pressure and certainly wasn't interested in pleasing people for the sake of it or popularity. Self centered is probably a fair description of me most of the time. However, recently I've felt that a few people have had some kind of persuasive grip on me, and it has a wierd love/hate feel to it. I want to please these people because I admire them (either for the wrong or right reasons) but then the ingrained skeptic in me politely niggles away at my recently earned satisfaction by pointing out I was just persuaded to do something which had little or no benefit to myself - not even the warm inner glow of philanthropy.

I admire persuasive people. They get stuff done. So, i'm determined to brush up on what makes people persuasive so that:
1. I can be more persuasive and get more stuff done
2. I can tell when someone is trying to be persuasive with me, call them on it and see what happens.

Persuasive Tip #1.

I did some research. The first site I landed on was this one: http://www.rinkworks.com/persuasive/ Its terrible. It really pissed me off because it was like reading a climate deniers handbook on how to deal with hard facts. Don't listen to anything they say, trust me and wait for Persuasive Tip #2, I'll find something much better than this site!

No comments: