Thursday 14 July 2011

Australians - Who are you now?

Do you feel like Australia is over-regulated these days? Do you lament that the iconographic image we built of our-selves through the blood, sweat and tears of the Diggers and the integrity and determination our international sports stars during the 80's and 90's has been lost? I do and I hope you do to.

The image and identity of Australia as a land of larrikans, opportunity, fairness and a place where we work hard and play hard is important to me, because I'm Australian. When I meet people overseas and tell them I'm Australian it colours and tints their perspectives and judgements of who I am and can massively impact on my life.

When I was contemplating this trip I heard reports from some Poms and Aussies returning from London that  we worked just as hard, if not harder in Sydney than they do in London. Including longer hours. I was appalled. It ruined my mental projections of Aussies abroad and probably put a few cracks in the rose tinted glasses I know I wear when thinking and analysing Australia. This is one of the reasons why Morgan Parkers post struck such a chord because he has returned to Sydney after a long period away and about 6 months travelling by motorbike through Asia, and it seems he got a bit of a shock.

I wonder, what will Australia be like when I return? Will it have changed as much as how I look at and conceive it? Historical foreign policy choices are certainly starting to have much more of an impact on my thinking. 

12 comments:

Swissbeats said...

Australia is certainly changing...and I'm not sure for the better. Certainly been a topic that has been top of mind recently. I will be eagerly awaiting your thoughts and views upon your return.

Until then...you are a nomad and hence a citizen of whatever particular town you find yourself in..so run with that rather than calling the Aussie card!

Swissbeats said...

P.S. See that dudes blog for my comment regarding GetUp.

D. said...

Nice to have you contribution, the thoughts and concerns of international men of mystery are always worth contemplating.

L said...

LOL!! I think the only other person who considers themselves an international man of mystery is Austin Powers...hehehe :P

Funny how patriotic we get whilst living overseas. I did become a bit of an extremist defender of our nation for a while until I moved back...

D. said...

Not me L, Swissbeats is the international man of mystery... I might be international but hardly a mystery!

BRyan said...

Hopefully the Aussie dollar drops

D. said...

Why, when are you heading back to Oz Bryan?

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit thrown by the last line of this blog "historic foreign policy choices are certainly starting to have more of an impact on my thinking"?

Are you referring to the immigration policies by any chance, particular those in the 60s was it, such as the 'white australia policy'?

I'm concerned. Pls explain!

Rhian

D. said...

The 'White Australia' policy is only something I have recently found out about as well but specifically I actually meant the Australian foreign policy in relation to Timor Leste and Indonesia in the 1970's. When Indonesia invaded Timor Leste they did with an understanding that Australia (and the US) would not oppose the invasion. Australia's excuse was the perceived risk of communism and for commercial reasons (securing the oil fields between Australia and Timor).

Anonymous said...

Do you mean Australia opposed the invasion for those reasons or they do not interfere with the invasion for those reasons?

Sorry, bit lost.

Rhian

Anonymous said...

Ignore that last comment. i just read the blog 'Dili Billy" and now I understand. Helps to do ya research huh? LOL :D

Rhian

D. said...

The post Rhian is refering to is available here http://nomad-odyssey.blogspot.com/2011/06/dili-billy.html