Tuesday 6 September 2011

Timorese Wedding!


No it wasn't mine! 

Went with Renato down to his friends Timorese wedding with Paolo. It was located abiout 30 min out of town in Tibar. Big calico tent of sorts was erected at the back of the families house with the dirt semi cleared and 'watered' to keep the dust from the dancing down.  I was surprised to note though that the dancing is 100% formal, all night. They love to dance, but it is latin/portuguese inspired dancing - I think the last time I danced like that was in high-school. And the dancing had rules set by the suco chief - no talking while dancing and no dancing outside the official area! 

It was a complicated social occassion with maybe 400 people in attendance, seats set like a grand-stand around the dance floor. It was pretty cool setup actually, but the rocks didn't make the dancing any easier - and some of those poor girls were in 2 inch heels that they weren't used to! 

I asked one girl for a dance, I don't think she realised how tall I was - she was lucky to reach my chest. Combined with the fact I was wearing my riding boots, and was only 1 of 2 foreigners there she nearly died of embarrassment before she went and sat back down before the song had even finished! After that none of the girls would dance with us! :O

2 comments:

D. said...

Yes Yes it is true - it was probably also my dancing.

Demelza said...

For a tall, lanky Fuller your dancing isn't too bad!